Search This Blog

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Eiger : why?

Someone might ask himself the meaning of this blog's title, Eiger.
Well, I have to say that it has some history behind it.
I'm a sport lover, but I particularly feel so attracted to sailing. I started going sailing at the age of 8, at first I felt a bit scared when there was some wind blowing, but I've to admit I never stepped back when we had to sail.

One year after my start, my parents decided to buy a little boat (called Optimist) so I could go into competitions all around Spain. And I had to choose a name for it. But, which one?


Mountain Eiger, Switzerland


Some time before, my father had told me lots of little stories about one of his hobbies : mountain climbing. He admitted having always wanted to climb Eiger, a very beautiful mountain in Switzerland, and that's why he chose this name for his own boat, a First Class 8 shared with some of his friends.

So, and to keep that special name alive, I decided to call my Optimist 'Eiger II'. And this blog also. Unfortunately, I sold my Optimist because I got bigger and older. But the next time I buy a sailing boat, I won't hesitate to choose a name for it. Simply, Eiger III.

No comments:

Post a Comment